Required documents



If you are a student from a non-EU country, you are required to apply for a student visa at the Hungarian Embassy in your home country at least 2 months before the beginning of your studies.

With a valid student visa you can apply for a residence permit either in the embassy or after your arrival. Please note that the student visa may take up to 60 days to be obtained.

You will need the following items for your visa application if you need visa. 

  • visa application form
  • passport (must be valid for at least 18 months, but preferably valid until the end of your studies.)
  • three passport-size photographs
  • Letter of Acceptance from the university
  • (transit visa if needed)
  • EITHER the bank transfer receipt of the payment of tuition fee or a payment certificate from the university OR Letter of Admission from the receiving institution (if you are scholarship holder)
  • the Embassy may ask for your airplane reservation or fare ticket and for proof of accommodation



Residence permit

For studying in Hungary, you will need a residence permit. You can find some useful information related to this topic on the site of Immigration and Asylum Office, you are especially advised to read the Residence Permit for the Purpose of Study subpage.

The closest Immigration Office to Sopron can be found in Győr which is accessible by train or bus. 


University of Sopron


H-9400 Sopron
Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca 4.